Thursday, August 14, 2014

Define Home

 I have written for years, short stories, journals, poetry, and of course numerous collegiate papers, I have only recently toyed with the idea of online publishing. That is as far as I have traveled. Not only do I work in  a profession that demands public professionalism, but who in the world would want to read something that I have written? I am a reflective educator and I know that my blogging should be just that, reflective. I do not choose to reflect in the hopes of being viewed as an expert, because nothing could be further from the truth. So now my only problem is where to begin. Today, I realized that I will begin with home.

For the past year I have worked in a district that requires me to commute roughly an hour one way. It took me about three years to find a full time position, so I knew that I was destined to commute. I really don't mind. The extra time in the car gives me time to reflect on my day. I am often asked why I don't move closer. Well, simply put, I have raised our four children in our home, and I am quite attached. The question that has really bothered me is when I am asked when I will take a job closer to home. I'm not going to. I have often wondered why so many teachers leave their jobs to move on to other districts. I have been told that normally, it is because they have found a position within their home district, meaning their Alma mater. If I really think about it, it would be a lot closer (I could possibly walk to work). I may get to teach my own children, and I would get to hand my son his diploma when he graduates this coming spring, All of this sounds wonderful, but at what cost?

Working where I do, I am afforded the luxury of focusing on what is important, my students and my teaching. This is because of the wonderful people I am able to work with. While I was working towards my degree I worried constantly about finding a district that would be welcoming. I was told that as an introverted individual finding a job would be nearly impossible, and fitting in would be even harder.

I was nervous moving to a district where I knew very few people. Not to mention that my students and parents would see me as an outsider. The warmth of my welcome was humbling. I have been met with nothing but warmth and sincerity. The magnitude of support that I receive daily is priceless. I can honestly say that I didn't realize how happy I was in my job until this summer. I miss my family of co-workers, my kids and my building. I look forward to beginning another year of laughter, collaboration and learning. This year, when someone asks me if I will ever go home to teach, my response is easy: I am home.

2 comments:

  1. Well written, Staci! Take a look at the badge pathway for blogging. You are close to earning your blogging badge. Proud to have you with us at Conesville ES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me, a fellow Rosevillian! Glad to have you with us, home!

    ReplyDelete